The Surety Underwriting team is seeking an ambitious professional ready to embark on a financial and analytical career within the surety industry. As a Surety Underwriting Trainee, you will work side by side with the leaders of the surety division, as well as seasoned and accomplished surety professionals. You will be exposed to and participate in a number of fundamental day to day surety underwriting and marketing activities, as well as key strategic operational initiatives of a dynamic and growing product line within Philadelphia Insurance Companies. Currently, PHLY Surety is the 12th largest surety in the country and is dedicated to developing surety professionals through the trainee program launched in 2016.
In this position you will be responsible for the following duties:
• Successfully complete the comprehensive Surety Underwriter training program consisting of one-on-one mentoring, self-study, and classroom training.
• Participate in AFSB certification activities including coursework, case studies, self-study, and ultimately pass exams as required to acquire your AFSB designation.
• Gain an understanding and develop analytical expertise of how financial conditions, character, experience, legal components, contract evaluation, project risk assessment and other factors can influence ultimate credit decisions and how to communicate these to internal and external customers.
• Develop ongoing relationships with internal and external customers that will include meetings with agents/brokers, and owners/key executives of companies we extend surety credit to.
• Pursue and monitor the continuous flow of underwriting data. Gain experience with various internal systems to assist in analytical functions and testing PHLY Surety’s new surety system.
• Develop knowledge of our products and distribution channels.
• Develop a working understanding of the surety/agency relationship and how to consult and provide direction to agents/brokers.
• Develop marketing skills and market the Company products to achieve company growth and profitability targets.
• Attend and participate in industry functions and events to develop and build a strong surety network and increase visibility in the marketplace.
• Perform special projects to build understanding of the surety business and support the business needs of the respective territory/market upon request.
Qualifications Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or Business or equivalent work experience. Excellent analytical and decision making skills. Demonstrated technical competence in fundamental financial analysis Demonstrated organization skills and ability with a strong attention to detail. Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills including ability to develop negotiation skills. Willingness to relocate at completion of the Surety Training Program, subject to open positions in our field offices. Prior internship or work experience in a business related environment a plus. Prior participation in one or more community activities or student organizations preferred.