At Pacific Science Center, our mission is to ignite curiosity in every child and fuel a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking in all of us. Our colleagues are passionate lifelong learners who live our mission every day. Join our collaborative team and come help steward our warm and welcoming community learning environment at PacSci!
Position Title: Educator
Division: Science Engagement & Outreach
Department: Science Engagement Administration
Reports to: Vice President of Exhibits, Education & Outreach
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Educators are skilled facilitators working with Pacific Science Center’s innovative team to deliver experiential educational activities to Science Center guests of all ages, wherever they may be. This position helps to craft and implement experiences and materials that prompt exploration and drive curiosity in a variety of modes, including virtual and in person. This position will develop and write activities, lead live and pre-recorded informal learning activities, and support across all team efforts. Facilitated activities will range from small group hands-on and self-directed explorations to large group shows. This position joins a team that continues to transition from the COVID -19 shut down and evolve as the science center’s renewal efforts move closer toward welcoming guests in person, while continuing a robust menu of digital engagement. The Educator is an essential contributor to Pacific Science Center’s mission to ignite curiosity in every child and fuel a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking in all of us.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- INSPIRE CURIOSITY: Inspire people to get excited by
- Welcoming and engaging guests in inspiring interactions, with a proactive awareness of and appropriate responses to individuals’ needs and interests.
- Modeling and using effective, equitable and culturally competent facilitation methods to deliver engaging live and pre-recorded science programming. Adjusting presentation style to fit with various audiences which may include formal school classrooms, informal settings in community organizations, and adults attending special events at PacSci and other environs.
- Assisting with curriculum development and revisions. This could include creating and testing new activities that are appropriate for e-learning. Ensure fidelity of lessons so that they accurately support Next Generation Science and other relevant standards.
- Using effective informal education techniques related to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) topics and careers. Facilitate a variety of STEM subjects such as astronomy, animal biology and chemistry (content expertise not required) with learners of all ages, primarily to Prek-8th grade.
- Embracing innovation with the team and community partners to identify, develop and evolve strategies for e-learning and in-person engagements that increase interactivity and accessibility of educational programming to fit the needs of students, teachers and adults, and serve the mission of Pacific Science Center.
- PROGRAM OPERATIONS: Ensure a safe and effective environment by
- Exercising good judgment, attending trainings, following safety procedures and alerting others of problems when necessary.
- Maintaining supplies, communicating program logistics with schools and organizations, troubleshooting programmatic or technological problems and other operations support tasks as assigned.
- Assisting with the collection of guest feedback and other program metrics.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ensure quality customer interaction (including parent, guardians, and volunteers) by
- Being aware of and responsive to individual needs with excellent and compassionate customer service.
- Adjusting program delivery and the style of customer service approach to prioritize creating a safe and positive learning environment, accessible and welcoming to learners of all backgrounds.
- Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the organization’s discretion.
Position Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- K-8th grade level Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) principles and content.
- Effective informal education and presentation strategies.
- Personal bias and desire to be an anti-racist educator.
- Preferred: Existing education technology tools and strategies.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and file sharing programs such as Google Drive.
- Experience with in-person and remote or e-learning for K-8th grade audiences.
- Clear verbal and written communication.
- Public speaking and performance techniques.
- Excellent organization and attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to represent Pacific Science Center’s mission and focus on guest experience.
- Work independently and with a team with limited or no supervision.
- Primarily work a 40 hour/week schedule with evening or weekend shifts as needed for program delivery or special events.
- Work onsite will be required approximately 3-5 days a week for program delivery or testing of equipment. Perform some work remotely.
- Associate’s Degree OR equivalent work experience in a teaching or teaching related field.
- Experience working with students in a formal and/or informal educational setting, such as a museum, after-school program, or youth camp.
- Experience in science, education, or theater and performance.
- Spanish language fluency.
- Experience in education technology and/or digital communications
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
The work place environment can vary but will typically be indoors and outdoors at Pacific Science Center. Physical demands of the position could include the ability to stand/walk/sit, lift 35 lbs kneel/squat/bend/reach, carry/climb (will often load, unload and carry cartloads of lesson materials and supplies). Must be able to communicate verbally, have visual acuity to run technology and view audience on screen as well as text. Position will also have exposure to dust, fumes, some loud noises and chemicals (including but not limited to liquid nitrogen, helium and hydrogen gas, dry ice, acids and bases, irritants and latex).
This position description generally describes the principle functions of the position and the level of knowledge and skills typically required. It does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee, and it is subject to change as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
Pacific Science Center stands with those who are courageously fighting against hate, racism, and injustice. We recognize that not being racist is not sufficient. We must be actively anti-racist, and we commit to doing so. We prioritize inclusion, diversity, equity, and access in everything we do. Curiosity and critical thinking are essential to the dialogue and changes that need to happen.