Ready to adventure into the Amazon rainforest? Looking to gain hands-on experience in the field of Veterinary Science?
All About Our Veterinary Internship in Ecuador
Excited by the prospect of working with and caring for parrots, monkeys, turtles, wild cats, capybaras, caymans and more? This internship is perfect for Animal Science, Zoology and Veterinary Science students; you’ll have the chance to see your education in action! Become a part of the team at an animal sanctuary deep in the Amazon that engages in the rescue and rehabilitation of local wildlife. Many of the animals in their care were abandoned or trafficked, and the ultimate goal is release back into the wild. Depending on the animals present at the sanctuary during your internship, you may have the chance to:
- Assist in the application of preventative treatments, including homeopathic medicines
- Help diagnose and care for sick animals; assist with surgeries where necessary; test animals in quarantine
- Develop and deliver feeding plans appropriate for local species
- Reintroduce animals to their natural habitats; and monitor their progress post-release
Want to learn more? Contact us and we’ll be happy to provide all the information you need.
Please note that proficiency in Spanish is recommended, as you’ll be working directly with locals. We also offer a one-week Spanish intensive for $621 if you’re interested in brushing up!
Getting University Credit
You may be able to gain university credit for your experience abroad. We recommend speaking to your study abroad advisor or academic department to learn more about your options. Many universities offer credit, and may classify our program as an internship, experiential education, a global experience or an academic experience, and here at Kaya we can work with you to meet any specific requirements your university may have.
Your institution may already be affiliated with Kaya to provide these credits, so ask a Kaya advisor for more details first!
Details, Costs and Deadlines
Start Date: Rolling start dates
Duration: 4+ (flexible)
Costs: $3717 for 4 weeks; $392 for each additional week
Requirements: Age 18+
Location: Puyo, Ecuador
What is included in those costs?
- Accommodations: Shared room in a cabin; 3 night stay in a hostel in Quito (breakfast provided)
- Food: 3 meals per day Monday to Friday; meals are served in a communal kitchen area with shared evening cooking responsibilities
- Local SIM card and phone during your stay
- Airport pickup and drop-off in Quito
- Training: Pre-departure pack, on-site orientation on Saturday and project induction
- Support: 24-hour support from onsite coordinator
- Internship supervision, guidance and reflection
What’s not included?
- Police/government background check
- Transfer back to Quito
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
- Visit the project page for exact details on the Details and Costs tab!
What about traveling during Covid-19?
As we prepare for a responsible return to travel, our priority at Kaya Responsible Travel is safety. We care deeply about the safety of both our participants and our host communities on the ground. With that in mind, we have developed and implemented extensive plans for selected projects in the Americas, Africa, and Asia where we can safely continue to carry out important work with our participants. You can learn about our reopening plans here.
Interested in Applying?
Apply through Handshake to express your interest and get contacted by one of our Placement Advisors. After they make contact, they can guide you through the process of choosing a Kaya program and submitting a formal application through our website. Our Advisors are friendly and ready to discuss any goals or challenges you wish to share; they can help you prepare to go abroad and answer any questions you may have about Kaya in general, our Covid-19 safety protocols, or specific internship/service opportunities.
Want to Talk to a Placement Advisor Before You Apply?
Not sure if this is the right experience for you? Have questions about costs, getting credit, traveling abroad, or more? Are you considering any other Kaya opportunities, like our Virtual Internships? Please do feel free to reach out to our Advisors, Tom Gore and Jess Palmer. They’re ready to help – email them anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want More Options?
If you’re interested in pre-veterinary science internships, we have two available now, one in Zimbabwe and one in South Africa. Also, check out our top 3 programs in the field for (responsible) travel in 2021 and read more about our reopening process!