Position Summary: Education Corps Members will be part of a team of tutors supporting elementary students in developing their early literacy or math skills. Members will receive paid training and ongoing support, ensuring they are able to use evidence-based literacy interventions and an accompanying technology platform to deliver literacy or math curricula, assess and track student growth, and serve as an academic mentor. Corps members will be responsible for working with a consistent, small group of students meeting with them at least three times a week. We ask that Corps members commit to a minimum of 7-15 hours per week.
Program Overview: The Learning Engagement, Acceleration, and Recovery Now (‘LEARN’) Initiative is a new effort sponsored by Gary Community Ventures to support the academic and social-emotional recovery of Colorado K-7 students, especially those from low-income neighborhoods and household of color, from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Conduct small group tutoring sessions using curricula provided by Gary Community Ventures for a minimum of one semester.
- Build positive relationships with students, families, and colleagues.
- Assist students to improve their reading skills and abilities.
- Commit to a weekly schedule to meet with groups of students (approximately 4 students in each group) 3 times per week.
- Assess, with a high level of accuracy, students’ progress through monitoring and benchmarking.
- Document students’ weekly progress scores and interventions using an online database system.
- Communicate with students in developmentally and age-appropriate ways.
- Act on feedback and coaching from Tutor Coordinators.
- Participate in professional learning opportunities and ongoing training.
- Communicate professionally with colleagues.
- Ensure confidentiality of all student records and test scores.
- Provide program feedback.
- Other duties as necessary.
Qualifications and Qualities
- Interest in education, specifically helping young children develop early language and literacy skills.
- Dedication to community service.
- Basic computer skills, including the ability to navigate online systems and email.
- Attention to detail.
- Organized, responsible, flexible, motivated, and professional.
- Willing to accept and incorporate constructive feedback from coaches and program staff.
- Ability to work with diverse personalities and team members.
- Ability to adapt to a sometimes challenging, high-pressure environment.
- Strong personal standards of excellence, ethics, and integrity.
- Must pass mandatory background checks.
- Must be willing to comply with COVID-19 safety precautions.
- Speak, read, and write English fluently.
- Must be able to work in the United States.
Corps members will be paid $15 to $25/hour and expected to commit to a minimum of 7-15 hours per week.
- Paid training and robust professional development experiences.
- Opportunities to learn from leaders in the education field.
- Access to the Colorado Education Corps network and Alumni.
- Professional Certifications and/or credits.
Interested in joining the Colorado Education Corps team?
Applications are now being accepted! Complete the online form available here; priority will be given to applicants who apply before August 10, 2021.
Have questions about this opportunity or the LEARN Initiative?
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal opportunity statement: