GARFIELD 16 – ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
In Garfield 16, we are passionate about all children finding individual success. We have redesigned our system to be responsive to student and staff needs to provide a high quality-learning environment. We support students through multiple avenues, where teachers really get to know their students and support them to be successful. The district has engaged in an Expeditionary Learning, AP for All, and a Competency Based model that supports learning, which accentuates rigorous curriculum and assessment practices that guide learners and teachers to know where they are and where they need to go to find mastery of learning.
We do this work in a four-day school week that provides time with families, as well as fourteen to sixteen full days of professional development a year to dig deep into professional practice. We pay for staff members to get their master’s degrees to further their education, as well as bring highly effective practices back to our district.
We have a passion to continually get better at what we do for the betterment of the students we serve. We believe in a high level of accountability to our students, parents, and community members. In return, our community has supported the district with both mill levy and bond issues that support our educators and our schools.
- We need you to have a passion and excitement for learning.
- To try new and innovative ways to help students and staff to be successful.
- We need you to believe in our schools, our staff, and most importantly, our students.
- A belief that the students in Garfield 16 will be successful.
- A belief that learning can be both rigorous and fun.
- We want to challenge you and for you to challenge us to become great.
- We want you to be a part of something that is working for students and is good and moving towards great.
- Acting in the superintendent’s place when he/she is not available.
- Being a model for leadership and learning in the Garfield 16 school district, consistently demonstrating a high level of professionalism, responsiveness to feedback and engaging in ongoing professional learning; being highly responsive and fully accountable to the district leadership team and the board of education.
- Leading all the support services groups including, maintenance, food service, and transportation.
- Lead the district in all aspects of safe schools planning and training.
- Leading and participating in regional and statewide meetings that support the mission of Garfield 16.
- Work, in conjunction with the Superintendent, to support new and existing initiatives.
- Supervising, evaluating, and ensuring the development of designated staff.
- Actively engaging in the chain of command and complaint process to ensure that school-level conflicts are mediated and resolved in an effective manner.
- Hiring, development, evaluation, and leadership of the school district.
- Ensuring the effective development and full implementation of the school districts’ strategic plan, school level Unified Improvement Plans (in support of the school principal), Garfield 16 School agreements, and principal/teacher effectiveness programming (evaluation and professional learning).
- Developing and ensuring the capacity of the Garfield 16 leadership team to provide the following facilitative services to schools:
- Instructional supports for standards, curriculum, and assessment
- Multi-Tiered Support Systems implementation
- Ensuring Federal and State compliance in grants and initiatives
- Equity-based school culture and instructional practices
- Competency Based and Personalized Learning
- Post-secondary Workforce Readiness including the implementation of Individual Career and Academic Plans (ICAP) and Plans of Study
- Participating in learning walks, observing/supporting professional learning and instruction, and providing critical feedback with clear, measurable targets toward progress.
- Planning and developing professional learning experiences and engaging school leaders, Garfield 16 Leadership teams, horizontal/leveled school leader groups (HS, MS, and Elem), and others in professional learning activities.
- Lead the development and facilitation of professional learning programming for teachers, including induction, mentoring, and on-going staff development.
- Duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
Master’s degree – Required; Ph.D. or Ed. S. – preferred
At least five years’ experience as a teacher and a building principal or Assistant Superintendent/Superintendent is preferred.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EQUIPMENT, & OTHER:
- Strong oral and written communication, interpersonal, public relations, instruction, curriculum, assessment, facilitation, problem solving, management, decision making, collaboration, and organizational skills.
- In-depth knowledge of instruction, standards-based education, and leadership.
- Operating knowledge of and experience with personal computer and office software.
- English language skills required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, & REGISTRATIONS:
Valid Colorado Principal’s License with the ability to evaluate both teachers and principals throughout the district.
- Directly supervises Principals and Leadership team members.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees.
- Planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding, disciplining, and terminating employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
BUDGET AND/OR RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
- Assist the Garfield 16 leadership team with developing, administering, monitoring, and coordinating the district budget.
- Develop and implement the consolidated grant in conjunction with all title programs.
- Assess the viability of grant applications from elementary and secondary schools.
Salary Range: $109,695-$142,603 plus benefits – based on education and experience.
Applications Due: October 1, 2021
Start Date: TBD No later than July 1, 2022
Garfield 16 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Garfield 16 is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Garfield 16 are based on district needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Garfield 16 will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Garfield 16 encourages applicants of all ages.