Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk-takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,700 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 50 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
The Fermilab Office of Communication science writing internship provides the opportunity to write for Fermilab’s online publications, including press releases and feature articles. Jointly with SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Fermilab also publishes Symmetry, an online magazine about the science, people and culture of particle physics.
Interns may also write for other laboratory publications and Fermilab’s websites. We also give interns the opportunity to assist with media events, social media and general public relations activities.
- write Fermilab news and feature articles, website content and other content as needed
- write features for Symmetry, an online particle physics magazine
- participate in communication meetings
- expand your knowledge of particle physics and related science and engineering fields
We are looking for:
- recent graduates of a science-writing or journalism program or recent undergraduates with a degree in English, journalism, communications or science.
- 0-2 years of science writing experience.
- ability to research, interview, write and edit science news stories and other nontechnical science communication materials.
- interest in science and science writing and an enthusiasm for learning about new subjects with respect to the scientific world.
- excellent writing and organization skills.
- excellent interpersonal skills for effective interaction with scientists, the public and the media.
- ability to work well under pressure, meet regular deadlines and juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
- skill in the use of computers and standard software and the ability to navigate and use the internet.
- willingness to respect, understand and value individual differences that embody laboratory principles of diversity and inclusion.
- Three writing samples, published or unpublished ( upload samples into the Essay Section)
- Cover letter
Application Period: Sept. 16 – Oct. 8, 2021
Acceptance Period: Oct 2021
Program Dates: approximately Jan. 11–May 20, 2022
Salary: Approximately $660 weekly
Housing: Housing is not provided or arranged by the program. Request information on affordable housing options by emailing TAinternships@fnal.gov.
Transportation: Transportation is not provided or arranged by the program. Request rental car information by emailing TAinternships@fnal.gov
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.