Durango School District 9-R is accepting applications for a School Bus Drivers for the 2021/2022 school year, responsible for the efficient and safe operation and basic maintenance of a school bus over an assigned route; drive school bus over assigned route, abiding by all rules and regulations set forth by the CDE, COT, and District; attend to students special health needs and maintain their well being while in route. 5.5 hrs/day, Monday – Friday. Includes benefits. Training is provided and starts ASAP.
Job Title: Bus Driver Pay Grade: Education Support Professionals Salary Schedule
Job Family: Transportation Services FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Department: Transportation Prepared Date: May 15, 2018
Typical Work Year: 9 months
SUMMARY: Responsible for the efficient and safe operation and basic maintenance of a school bus over an assigned route. Drive school bus over assigned route, abiding by all rules and regulations set forth by the CDE, COT, and District. Attend to students special health needs and maintain their well being while in route.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES : To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
D 70% Transport passengers in a safe and timely manner in all weather conditions. Educate students on bus rules. Establish and maintain positive student relations. Enforce district regulations regarding student discipline. Communicate with transportation personnel and parents regarding student behavior that requires redirection; report to proper school administrators issues requiring student discipline and parent notification. Assist students, as needed, in loading and unloading the bus. Load and unload passengers in wheelchairs, strollers, etc. using the bus lift. Secure passengers’ wheelchairs, strollers, etc. and properly fasten all protective safety devices, car seats, lap belts, and T-straps.
D 10% Execute a pre-trip inspection of the bus in accordance with the Colorado Department of Transportation and District guidelines. Maintain all fluids at the proper levels. Complete post-trip inspection of the bus in accordance with District guidelines. Maintain interior and exterior cleanliness of the bus. Keep outside mirrors and driver’s windows clean inside and out. Fuel vehicles per department guidelines.
D 5% Communicate in person and via radio for routine, urgent, and emergency situations. Report all unsafe route and bus stop conditions to the Scheduler/Dispatcher.
D 2% Complete required paperwork, including monthly reports, route sheets, ride rosters, etc. and report accidents and hazards. Complete and submit work requests for items needing repair on vehicle
D 2% Verify route times at beginning and throughout the year to maintain the accuracy of the schedulers’ assignments. Provide information to scheduler for updating routes and maps.
D 1% Deliver interschool mail.
D 1% Manage special needs of special education students and health situations on the bus.
M 6% Receive training and/or instruction necessary to maintain knowledge and certifications required by/for CDE, DOT, CDL, and District.
A 1% Execute emergency evacuation of students and assist in emergency situations while in route.
Ongoing 1% Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING High school diploma or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE No experience required. Bus driving experience and experience working with children preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, & REGISTRATIONS:
- Criminal background check required for hire.
- Valid Colorado driver’s license.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL) with Class B and P2S endorsement.
- CPR and First Aid certifications required within 90 days after hire.
- Successful completion of District’s School Bus Driver Training Program required for hire.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must pass annual written test.
- Must pass annual driving performance test.
- Must pass DOT physical.
- Must have a record of safe driving per motor vehicle record check.
- Must pass drug/alcohol screen per Board Policy
TECHNICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) in English.
- Knowledge of city and county road networks and location of schools in the district.
- Knowledge of driving a bus and working parts of bus preferred at hire.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations.
- Ability to work with students with diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Knowledge of Colorado and Federal laws as they relate to the transportation of students.
- Ability to promote and follow Board of Education policies, Superintendent policies and building/department procedures.
- Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with all people including those from diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds.
- Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT OPERATING KNOWLEDGE:
- Operating knowledge of school buses and pool vehicles required within one month after entering position.
- Operating knowledge of basic maintenance and emergency equipment including radio, tire chains, flare, etc. required within one month after entering position.
Durango School District 9-R is an equal opportunity educational institution and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or need for special education services in admissions, access to treatment, or employment in educational programs or activities which it operates, or any other applicable status protected by federal, state or local law. For information regarding civil rights or grievance procedures, contact Laura Galido, Compliance Officer, Durango School District 9-R, 201 E 12th Street, Durango, CO 81301, (970) 247-5411, email@example.com, or the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 1244 Spear Boulevard, Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204-3582, (303) 844-5695.