Durango School District 9-R is accepting applications for Cooks District-wide, for the 2021/2022 school year. Location to be determined, M-F. Experience preferred. Requires a valid Driver’s License. Begins August 18, 2021.
Job Title: Cook Pay Grade: Education Support Professional Salary Schedule
Job Family: Food Services FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Department: Student Nutrition Prepared/Revised Date: May 15, 2018
Typical Work Year: 9 months
SUMMARY Assist the Cafeteria Manager with maintaining a successful food service program by preparing and serving food, maintaining kitchen, washing dishes and trays, receiving payment for meals, and assisting with food ordering and inventory.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The frequency and percentage of time of duties may vary based on building or department assignment.
D 45% Under the supervision of the Cafeteria Manager, assist in preparing food for the National School Lunch Program through the preparation and serving of food on the lunch line using safe food handling procedures.
D 15% Stock and set up serving line and all necessary equipment needed to serve meals.
D 10% Sanitize all dishes, equipment, floors, tables, sink, etc. following all completion of daily school lunch/breakfast program service. Wash tables in commons area following each meal to ensure sanitary eating areas.
D 10% Remove all trash and waste from the kitchen.
M 3% Cross train in all positions, including manager position.
D 5% Operate POS lunch system and serve as cashier.
D 5% Assist with ordering, storing, and inventorying food and supplies.
D 5% Assist with opening and closing kitchen preparations including cleaning, storage and stocking of inventory.
Ongoing 2% Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING: High school diploma or equivalent. Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential job functions of the position.
EXPERIENCE: Kitchen prep or cooking, food service experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, & REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License Required. First Aide/CPR/AED training preferred. Criminal Background Check required for hire.
TECHNICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Basic mathematical and measuring skills for following recipes and giving change to students.
- Cashiering skills preferred.
- Ability to promote and follow Board of Education policies, Superintendent policies and building/department procedures.
- Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with co-workers to maintain a positive and professional work climate
- Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT OPERATING KNOWLEDGE:
- Knowledge of large volume food production, serving and sanitizing equipment, preferred.
- Knowledge of basic kitchen utensils including knives, slicers, thermometers and cleaning agents.
- Normal office equipment such as personal computer, printer, copier, fax, phone system, e-mail.
Durango School District 9-R is an equal opportunity educational institution and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or need for special education services in admissions, access to treatment, or employment in educational programs or activities which it operates, or any other applicable status protected by federal, state or local law. For information regarding civil rights or grievance procedures, contact Laura Galido, Compliance Officer, Durango School District 9-R, 201 E 12th Street, Durango, CO 81301, (970) 247-5411, email@example.com, or the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 1244 Spear Boulevard, Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204-3582, (303) 844-5695.