City of Durango, CO
Posted 08-04-2021 (2021-131)
Open Until Filled
$20.26/Hour + benefits
Apply at https://www.durangogov.org/jobs
** A resume is required in addition to the employment application.
For Benefits Information please visit: https://www.durangogov.org/195/Employee-Benefits
Job Title: Payroll Specialist
Reports to: Financial Services Supervisor
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Revision Date: October 2020
Pay Grade: 75
Minimum Education and Certification: Equivalent to completion of High School or GED.
Minimum Experience: Two (2) years of progressively responsible technical experience in bookkeeping, accounting, payroll, sales tax processing or related field.
To perform payroll administration, timekeeping and other bookkeeping functions. Performs general cashier backup and assisting with general customer inquiries, provides high quality customer service to members of the public and other City staff.
GENERAL POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are normal for this position. However, they are not to be construed as exclusive or all–inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may also be required or assigned.
· Perform technical bi-weekly payroll transactions for all City employees by entering employee position and wage rates, update data and running employee payments.
· Provides training and support for supervisors, timekeepers and directors regarding payroll processing, policies and procedures.
· Quality check, troubleshoot, and correct time submission errors and software issues.
· Actively participate with the implementation of new payroll procedures and software as needed.
· Prepare annual W-2 statements and balance and reconcile payroll reports.
· Monitor and process garnishment orders as directed by human resources.
· Prepare payroll transfers including FICA, Medicare, State and Federal withholdings, Retirement funds, pensions and other miscellaneous withholdings.
· Prepare daily cash and credit card transactions posted through the City accounting software for balancing.
· Prepare back-up documentation regarding transactions to meet audit requirements.
· Balance online Sales Tax and Business License payment totals against City accounting software to ensure all payments have been received.
· Post payments to City accounting software.
· Cover reception duties in the absence of a Customer Service Specialist. Post payments, processes incoming and outgoing mail and provides reception duties.
City Organization Duties and Responsibilities:
· Strive to represent and promote City values of teamwork, dependability, professionalism, service, respect, innovation, and well-being
· Support the Finance Team in its strategic goal of financial excellence and transparency
Works under supervision of the Financial Services Manager. Work is checked for accuracy, quality and adherence to instructions. Employee may need to occasionally choose from defined alternatives to resolve problem but consults with manager on matters not covered in the original instructions or by guidelines.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Payroll and accounting principles and practices.
· Principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting.
· Modem office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
· Principles of basic report preparation
· Business correspondence writing and basic report preparation techniques
· Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and ordinances.
· Use and operate a computer including specialized software.
- Operating and normal maintenance of office machines, (copier, computer, printer, fax, etc.).
- Tracking of activities, supplies and authorizations via specialized software or self-created forms and databases.
- Accurate data entry and correspondence preparation.
· Prepare financial reports.
· Apply City policies and procedures pertaining to accounting activities.
· Prepare clear and concise reports.
· Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Establish and maintain effective work relationship with those contacted in the course of work.
· Work the allocated hours of the position.
Work is performed in a typical indoor office setting; and is mostly sedentary with periods of mobility and light physical activity.
Physical and Mental Requirements/Activities:
· This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, frequently requires standing, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions and occasionally requires walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and reaching with hands and arms.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus. Will spend a large amount of time viewing a computer screen.
· Vocal communication and normal hearing are required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Acceptable verbal and conversation skills to effectively communicate with others via the phone, at meetings and to greet and assist visitors.
· Work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data and observing general surroundings and activities.
- Frequent use of phone handset and repetitive use of hand & fingers to operate office equipment, use computer keyboard & computer mouse and to perform other office tasks.
· Ability to recognize occupational hazards in work activities and take safety precautions.
- Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions and following directions.
Nothing in this job description limits management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Process pension payments for each payroll period.