Job Title: Park Maintenance II– Ranger
Department: Parks and Recreation
This is a customer-focused position responsible for public safety, stewardship, maintenance, and public education regarding City of Durango rules and regulations for parks, open space, river, and trails system.
This position combines highly energetic and interactive work with self-directed projects. Ideal candidates are collaborative, driven, and committed team players with a passion for parks, natural resources, conservation, volunteerism, community service, or similar areas.
To perform routine park, open space maintenance duties and a variety of related tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
GENERAL POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are normal for this position. However, they are not to be construed as exclusive or all–inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may also be required or assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide customer service and education to park, open space, river and trail visitors regarding City Ordinances and prohibited acts pertaining to parks, open space, river, and trail users.
- Issue verbal warning and direction to the public regarding leash law violations, pet waste removal, bicycle and OPDMD rules, campfires, littering and smoking infractions.
- Prepare and maintain records and reports on maintenance and stewardship activities as well document violations and actions of City Ordinances.
· Service park, open space, river access and trail facilities as appropriate, collect litter and debris, service trash barrels and dog waste containers. Coordinate with Parks maintenance staff on observations relating to the maintenance and repairs needed with in the parks, open space river and trail system.
- Maintain park and open space grounds including trash removal, trimming, and a variety of landscaping and facility maintenance duties.
- Patrol of parks, multi-use trail and/ or open spaces by foot and motorized vehicle where appropriate.
· Assist with Park permits and maintenance in City Parks and open spaces. Perform pre- and post-permit inspections.
· Communicate with other City departments including police; and communicate with central dispatch on criminal or civil violations.
Equipment Operation and Maintenance:
· Operate various power tools for park, trail, and open space maintenance and other projects including wood saws, chainsaws, walk behind mowers, leaf-blowers and weed trimmers.
· Assist in the maintenance and repair of all departmental maintenance equipment.
City Organization Duties and Responsibilities:
· Represent the Department and City to other staff and members of the public.
· Provide quality customer service to individuals needing directions or assistance.
· This job has no supervisory responsibilities, although may provide leadership of community volunteers.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Equipment and tools used in parks, open space, river, and trails.
· Basic knowledge of mobile phone apps and handheld GPS devices.
· Techniques of repairing and servicing park facilities and amenities.
· Techniques of maintaining and stewarding natural surface trails.
· Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
· Pertinent Federal, State, Local laws, codes, and regulations
- Operating and maintaining all assigned tools, light equipment and moderate to heavy power-driven equipment.
- Communicating clearly and concisely primarily in verbal form.
· Multitask and quickly adapt to changing work conditions as well as possible extreme weather conditions.
· Operate motorized vehicles and equipment.
· Use computer and mobile device technologies.
· Respond to requests and inquiries from the public.
· Deal effectively and diplomatically with the public.
· Interpret and explain City policies and procedures.
· Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
· Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
· Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for successful job performance.
· Maintain mental capacity that allows the capability of effectively interacting and communicating with others.
· Self-motivate and adapt to changing situations.
· Work is performed in a in a variety of environments, indoors, outdoors, varied terrain, and park like settings.
· Mostly standing, walking, and hiking to perform duties with periods of driving to reach different areas of duties.
Physical and Mental Requirements/Activities:
•This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 50 pounds of lifting/moving or force and occasional lift, move or drag 100 pounds or more while performing essential functions of the job.
•Work regularly requires the ability to stand, walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; balance, climb, stoop, kneel crouch or crawl; and speak and hear.
•Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
•Acceptable verbal and conversation skills to effectively communicate with others in English.
•Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
•Ability to read and write English and interpret documents such as safety rules, material safety data sheets, operation and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and so forth.
•Ability to recognize occupational hazards in work activities and take safety precautions.
•Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions and following directions.
Nothing in this job description limits management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.