Alaska Fellows Program position description
Spruce Root, Inc.
Community Economic Development Fellow
This position is part of the Alaska Fellows Program. All fellows live together, “in community,” in their respective host site. Each host site is unique and remarkable.
Fellows receive housing, a $1000 monthly living stipend and a $500 relocation stipend. The fellowship includes facilitated and funded opening and closing retreats.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. If you are applying to a position in Juneau, please note that the program will last seven months (October-April) while other programs will run nine months (September-May).
For other questions about the application process, email email@example.com.
Work Term: Oct 1, 2021 – April 30, 2022
Employer: Spruce Root, Inc.
Contact: Alana Peterson
Title: Community Economic Development Fellow
Spruce Root, Inc. is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) providing financial and technical assistance to small business owners in Southeast Alaska. We operate with the belief that the entire community benefits from locally-owned businesses that are strong and contribute to the local economy. Spruce Root services for small businesses include coaching, training and lending for startup enterprises, working capital, business expansion, leasehold improvements and other business capital needs.
We take pride in our collaborative approach to economic development, working with diverse people and entities around the state, and as a core partner in the Sustainable Southeast Partnership (SSP). Our core team is made up of local experts with roots in our respective communities and a vested interest in improving the resiliency and sustainability of the Southeast region. Our roots are strong and supportive and we welcome the addition of more local businesses to strengthen our collective future.
In conjunction with the Spruce Root team, the Fellow supports the development and management of projects that improve Spruce Root’s ability to attract, support and retain clients across all programming. Specifically, the Fellow will manage development and design of marketing materials and short form storytelling pieces including development of media posts and short stories, videos, and short multimedia business training tutorials, and Spruce Root marketing collateral.
The Fellow will also be responsible for designing and managing data analysis for Spruce Root technical assistance programs, current loan program clients, and network partners, which may include survey development, interviews, cold-calling, emailing, etc.
The Fellow may also assist with Spruce Root program development and implementation, including business certifications, the Path to Prosperity competition and triple-bottom-line curriculum development for rural community workshops, and will support SSP communications as needed.
- Design and distribute Spruce Root marketing collateral using Affinity Designer, Squarespace, Facebook, Instagram, and MailChimp
- Collaborate with Spruce Root community and regional partners through the Sustainable Southeast Partnership to advance project initiatives in SSP communities across the region
- Support Spruce Root programming efforts in rural community and economic development
- Design surveys and conduct data analysis as needed by the organization
- Develop annual holiday gift guide, annual report, and other projects as assigned
- Provide marketing and outreach support
- Assist team with generating loan leads, funding and grant writing/research
- Engage in business development initiatives at community levels to understand where Spruce Root can leverage resources to maintain and develop the infrastructure required to support economic growth
- Work may require occasional travel throughout SE Alaska
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with social media, blogging, graphic design
- Experience with data gathering and analytics
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) and ability to speak in public setting
- Strong ability to work as a productive team member
- Strong personal passion for Spruce Root’s mission
- Experience with grant writing
- Experience or training in working with small business owners and entrepreneurs
- Experience using Affinity Suite (or other graphic design software)
- Experience with web development
- Knowledge of Southeast Alaska’s communities
Work Authorization: This host organization is not able to sponsor HB1 visas at this time.
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three professional references
Submit materials to:
When submitting your applications, please also copy firstname.lastname@example.org.
The first round of applications will be reviewed on March 30. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Alana Peterson, Spruce Root, Inc.
One Sealaska Plaza, Suite 400
Juneau, AK 99801