MLive.com seeks a reporter to cover community and business news for MLive.com and The Flint Journal. The right candidate understands the importance of breaking news quickly and accurately, while also adding depth and a human perspective to these often-tragic news stories. Candidates should also be able to balance day-to-day news coverage with longer-term enterprise projects.
MLive is a highly innovative, digital news organization where experimentation and flexibility are a must. We are paving the way for the future of digital news, yet we are grounded in the ethics of solid journalism.
Ideal candidate will have the following:
- Degree in Journalism or Communications or related field required
- Minimum of 2 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing required
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Demonstrated reporting, writing and organizational skills
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience with search engine optimization practices
- Experience with using social media to source and promote content a plus
- Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms such as Moveable Type CMS, SCC Budgeting and Archiving System, Smartphones
- Understanding imperatives of multiple platforms — print, mobile, Internet, etc.
- Mastery of social media and digital interaction
- Proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
- Ability to work independently and remotely